Tuesday, March 29, 2005

"O-kay..."

After reading The Puppy Blender's link to Townhall and UNCW professor Mike Adams, I figured I had to share this story which had me rather disturbed.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that this blog is in general very critical of lawsuits and lawyers (sorry, Oddybobo, but when you're a judge that'll be no problem, will it? ^_^), but sometimes I'm informed of something that I just find downright disturbing that I would hope DOES result in some sort of suit, or at least dismissal.

I've been around looking for jobs in different school districts across the country recently, and speak with students around the country about different vacancies in the system and general needs that the educators need to emphasize. Recently I spoke with a 16-year old female from the Philadelphia region who is exceedingly intelligent, but has enough personal problems to place her in danger of failing and the usual Saturday detention.

She was going over her daily schedule, and mentioned that one of her male friends was having a discussion with one of the teachers holding the detention, a mathematics educator aged about 24 and 25. She managed to catch the teacher and her friend discussing her behind her back, and what caught my eye was that, without even pausing for reaction, casually stated that she heard the teacher say "Yeah, I'd like to bone her too." And then she continued on her description of the day without even missing a beat.

I stopped her. Aren't teachers' supposed to be models of professionalism? 24 or not, this was highly inappropriate. She made an off-hand remark that he used to pat her on the head in the past when she sat in the front of the class and frequently calls her "Cute" and "Adorable". Seemingly complimentary at first, how many of you trust men in their late teens to mid-twenties to only be thinking that when they speak about a female? C'mon now. (Sorry, Frank J...)

She sits in the back of the class now, which is a good start, but it also signifies something else. Now, even though I can't stand how the current sexual harassment laws are written, they are the law, so we have to abide by them. Surprisingly, I cannot find a sexual harrasment policy on their website, though I would assume their student handbook would have one. It would probably include the oft-repeated phrase "Hostile Work Environment" though. I'd bet money on that. If someone has to move to the back of the class in order to avoid being flirted with/hit on/ the like, does this qualify? I'm sure hundreds of thousands of feminists not reading this blog would cry "Yes!"

In steps the wonderful Volokh. Read that piece. Being Volokh, it's lengthy, but an excellent read. So if it doesn't fit the wonderful definition of harrassment, what does it matter?

Well, further prodding revealed that "Meh, this happens all the time", and "I've just learned to ignore it." Apparently not if she had to move to the back of the class. In my thirteen years in grade school, I never saw any harrassing of this type occur, but when I was in eighth grade, a (rather dubious) harrassment of this very sort occurred, the offending teacher was fired in four days. What really got me was that she had basically desensitized the entire ordeal. This is not how I remember feminists.

So what happens with this guy? Does he continue teaching for another 20-odd years and continue to flirt with 15 or 16 year old girls? Do we REALLY want that to happen? We've certainly busted several women teachers in the past year for having sex with male students. Thankfully this situation hasn't degraded to that, but what happens when a guy finally does get caught again? How far does the head roll? And will it be this guy? Do we wait and find out? Now, I can't exactly reveal any information (such as which of the 50 Philly-area high schools it is) just yet, but if things do in fact continue on this route, I may have to go against my masculinist roots and call the irritating feminists into action. Sure, I may be a hypocrite, but you never really notice until it's your friend on the receiving end of it, now do you?

Support This Site